Table of Contents
According to recent reports, there are approximately 6.6 billion active smartphone users globally, making mobile apps ubiquitous in today’s digital ecosystem. The exceptional revenue generated by these mobile apps has made them an important aspect of modern business.
Furthermore, the trend of booking tickets online is gaining momentum due to the increasing use of mobile devices. This has resulted in eliminating third-party tools, reducing the overall costs for travelers. Additionally, IT firms benefit from the flight ticket booking app development, which is becoming the next dominant force for grabbing opportunities.
This article will help you understand everything related to the flight booking app development cost and the multiple factors that are associated with that cost. In addition, we will look at an extensive feature list for flight ticket booking app development and multiple monetization strategies that can be implemented to earn money with your flight booking apps.
The Cost of Developing a Flight Booking App: A Comprehensive Guide
In the digital age, the travel and tourism industry has transformed dramatically, especially with the advent of mobile apps. One such innovation is the flight booking app, a convenient tool that allows users to book flights with just a few taps on their smartphones. However, developing a flight booking app is a complex process and involves various costs. This blog post will delve into the factors that influence the cost of developing a flight booking app.
1. Features and Functionality
The features and functionality of the app play a significant role in determining the cost. Basic features like flight search, booking, payment processing, and user profiles are essential. However, if you want to stand out from the competition, you might consider integrating advanced features such as price alerts, loyalty programs, in-app advertising, and integration with other services like hotels or car rentals. Remember, the more complex the features, the higher the development cost.
The design of the app is another crucial factor. A simple design will cost less, but if you want a highly customized and intricate design, the cost will increase. The user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design can significantly impact the cost. A well-designed app not only attracts users but also enhances usability.
The platform for which you are developing the app also affects the cost. If you are developing an app for multiple platforms like iOS, Android, and web, the cost will increase. Native apps generally cost more than hybrid or web apps due to their superior performance and user experience.
The cost of an app is not just about development. Post-launch updates, bug fixes, and adding new features also factor into the overall cost. Regular maintenance is crucial to ensure the smooth functioning of the app and to keep up with technological advancements.
5. Geographical Location
The location of the app development team can also influence the cost. Development rates can vary significantly between countries. For instance, hiring a development team in North America will be more expensive than in Asia due to differences in living costs and hourly rates.
6. Development Time
The time it takes to develop the app is directly proportional to the cost. The longer the development time, the higher the cost. This is often tied to the complexity of the app and the number of features it includes.
Before looking into the multiple cost-affecting factors in detail, let us first look at the multiple market statistics that can help you understand the gaining popularity of custom flight booking app development and how it can be a beneficial investment for your business.
- The global flight booking market size was valued at USD 338.2 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach USD 592.8 billion by 2028, registering a CAGR of 9.0% from 2021 to 2028.
- The Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing region in the flight booking market during the forecast period.
- The key players operating in the flight booking market are Amadeus IT Group SA, Sabre Corporation, Travelport Worldwide Ltd., Travelsky Technology Co., Ltd., China Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways Limited, Air France-KLM, Lufthansa Group, Etihad Airways, and Qatar Airways.
These statistics clearly indicate the immense potential of the flight booking market.
Deciphering the Custom Flight Booking App Development Cost
As previously mentioned, the cost of developing a flight booking app can range from $40,000 to $200,000. Several factors directly affect the overall development budget. However, the overall complexity of the app is the most important factor in determining the cost. For example, the more complex the app is and the more features it has, the more expensive it will be. Conversely, an app with a simple user interface and a minimal feature list will be less expensive. Here is an estimate of the cost of developing a flight booking app based on different levels of complexity:
- Simple app with basic features: $40,000 – $60,000
- Medium-complexity app with additional features: $60,000 – $100,000
- Complex app with all the bells and whistles: $100,000 – $200,000
Please note that these are just estimates and the actual cost may vary depending on the specific requirements of your app.
|Flight Booking App Type
|The estimated average cost of development
|$40,000 to $60,000
|3 to 6 months
|$60,000 to $100,000
|6 to 8 months
|$100,000 to $200,000
As each business has its own requirements and the development process varies across different agencies, to get a clear estimate of the cost to build a flight booking app, let us try and offer a sure-shot formula.
The formula is:
Cost = Development hours * Hourly rate
Here, the development hours are the time frame used to complete the app’s wireframing, design, code, code, quality assurance, maintenance, etc. The hourly rate of development further varies according to the hired app development organization, the details of which will be discussed later in the blog.
Please note that this is just a general formula and the actual cost may vary depending on the specific requirements of your business.
Factors Affecting the Flight Booking App Development Cost
Before delving into the factors that influence the cost of airline reservation app development, it is essential to determine the business model you wish to adopt. Once you have a clear understanding of the business model, it is recommended to hire a flight booking portal development organization that can offer you the greatest ROI. When setting aside a budget for your custom flight booking app development, it is critical to consider all of the following factors:
- The features and functionality of the app
- The complexity of the app
- The development team’s experience and expertise
- The chosen technology stack
- The app’s design and user experience
- The app’s marketing and promotion
By considering all of these factors, you can ensure that you develop a flight booking app that is both cost-effective and successful.
The following are the factors that affect the cost of developing a flight booking app:
- UI/UX Design: A well-defined UI/UX strategy is essential for a successful flight booking app. The cost of UI/UX design will vary depending on the complexity of the app and the number of features included.
- Underlying Platform: The platform that the app is developed for (iOS, Android, or cross-platform) will also affect the cost. Cross-platform apps are typically more expensive to develop than native apps.
- Team Size: The size of the development team will also affect the cost. A larger team will be required for a complex app with more features.
- Location of the Development Agency: The location of the development agency will also affect the cost. Hourly rates are typically lower in Asia than in the US or Europe.
- Maintenance: The cost of maintaining the app after it is launched will also need to be considered. This includes costs for bug fixes, updates, and new features.
- Tech Stack: The choice of technology stack will also affect the cost. Some technologies are more expensive to develop with than others.
- Feature List: The feature list of the app will also affect the cost. More features will mean a higher cost.
It is important to carefully consider all of these factors when budgeting for a flight booking app development project.
Features to be Integrated into a Flight Booking App
The features that a flight booking app has to include can greatly enhance user experience and speed up the booking process. By searching for flights using a variety of parameters and filters, users may quickly locate the finest options that meet their needs and interests.
Users can be informed of any changes or disruptions to their travel arrangements via real-time flight schedules and alerts, allowing them to make backup plans if necessary. A handy tool for frequent travelers, flight booking, and management via an app can also save consumers time and effort.
- User-friendly interface: The app’s interface should be simple and easy to use, allowing users to look up and book flights with ease.
- Easy sign-up: The app should allow users to sign up with their official email address and contact number. It should also allow sign-ups via social media accounts.
- Profile verification: Once users have registered with the app, they should be able to validate their email address or phone number using a security pin sent to them.
- Flight search: The app should provide search options, including destination, date, and price range, to help customers locate the best flight options.
- Secure payment gateway: The app should have a secure and reliable payment gateway for conducting transactions.
- Notifications: The app should alert users when their flight’s status changes, gates move, or if there are any departure or arrival delays.
- Loyalty program: The app should have a loyalty program that offers loyal users discounts, freebies, or other benefits.
- Ratings and reviews: Users should be able to check reviews related to multiple airlines, their accommodations, and more to make informed traveling decisions.
The following are the admin features of the app:
- Flight management: Administrators can control flight data, including timetables, availability, and costs.
- Booking management: Administrators can control user reservations, cancellations, and refunds.
- Payment management: Admins can control payments, including commissions and refunds.
- Customer support: The app provides admins with phone, email, and chat help options.
The following are the advanced features of the app:
- Multilingual support: The app supports multiple languages to serve users from various countries.
- In-app chat: The in-app chat feature allows users to chat with customer service agents.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) integration: The app uses AI technology to find the best deals and give personalized vacation suggestions.
- Virtual Reality: The app provides 360-degree tours of airports and airplane cabins to improve the user experience.
- Social media integration: The app allows users to share their travel plans and experiences on social media platforms.
- Accounting APIs: Integrating accounting APIs allows the admin to easily track their overall finances.
The types of business models available for flight ticket booking app development are the aggregator model and the specialized model.
The aggregator model is the most popular business model for travel booking apps. Users can easily and affordably book their desired flights by comparing rates and airline itineraries. With this business model, the app serves as a middleman, introducing customers to various airlines while taking a cut of every reservation made on their website.
The specialized model, in contrast, relies on a single airline or a group of airlines collaborating with an app to provide consumers with their services. According to this idea, consumers can use the app to manage their reservations with the associated airline (s).
One of the primary advantages of the specialized model is the capacity to provide passengers with a seamless booking and travel experience via the airline’s dedicated app. Airlines may create a loyal customer base by gathering customer data and offering targeted discounts and services.
The cost of developing a flight booking app varies according to the business model you choose.
There are several ways to earn money with a flight booking app, including:
- The merchant model: The app acts as a marketplace for airlines and other providers of travel services. Service providers must pay the app to list their offerings there. A flat fee or a percentage of the transaction value could be charged for this fee. The app makes money through commissions by giving service providers a platform to contact a huge customer base.
- Commission fee: The app charges a commission for each reservation booked through the app. A fixed percentage of the booking amount or a variable proportion depending on the type of booking, could be the basis for this commission. This business model is suitable for apps that let users book flights and other services like lodging, transportation, and travel insurance.
- Advertising: The app displays advertisements to consumers to monetize. These advertisements may appear as banners, pop-up windows, or sponsored content. Every time a user clicks on an advertisement or watches it for a predetermined time, the app is paid.
Dignep is an aviation software development company that can help you build a robust flight booking app. We have a team of experienced developers who can create a custom app that meets your specific needs. Contact us today to learn more about our services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How does a flight booking app work?
A: Flight booking apps are solutions that can help passengers with every step of their trip, from searching for flights and booking tickets to checking in. Users can sign up for the app with their email address, search for flights and airlines to their destination, modify their search according to their preferences, select the right flight for their trip, and book their flight by paying through a secure online payment gateway.
Q: What are the key features of a flight booking app?
A: The key features of a flight booking app include:
- Social login or sign-up
- Flight schedules
- Flight booking
- Frequent flyer program
- Booking status
- Flight status
- Ratings and reviews
- Information management
- Customer support
- View searches
- Manage booking
Q: How much does it cost to develop a flight booking app?
A: The cost of developing a flight booking app ranges from $40,000 to $200,000. The overall development budget is affected by several factors, such as the development platform, the location of the app development agency, the design process, and the app’s maintenance.
Q: How long does it take to build a flight booking app?
A: The time it takes to build a flight booking app depends on the app’s complexity. For example, developing a highly complex flight booking app can take around 9+ months. On the other hand, a simple app with minimum features can take around 3 to 4 months to develop.
A long-term service partner that builds, trains, and coaches remote development teams in Nepal. We combine technical talent, extensive experience, and entrepreneurship to accelerate your business growth. We ❤️ building and designing digital products in a startup way.